Friday, February 4, 2011

ONE, TWO...

We got an ice storm this week in central Indiana, it was my first ever ice storm and I'm not impressed!  I LOVE snow days!  I love being able to throw snow around, make snow angels, sled, ect.  However, with ice, I can't even get out of the house! I'm the first to admit that I'm not the most graceful, but when you add 4 inches of ice I turn into a complete mess!

This morning school was running on a two hour delay and Keith isn't home, and my car is still iced in at the shop from Monday's fiasco so I decided I don't think it's safe for Hadley to go to the bus stop.  I don't think it's safe for her to walk the .2 miles to the bus stop that are a solid sheet of ice, and I certainly don't think it's safe for her to stand on the street corner while cars pass by.  Northerners can laugh all they want but I will not pit my child against various and random drivers of SUV's and delivery trucks on an icy road.  I pray there will be no accidents today with the school children but I can guarantee there won't be any involving my baby!

Because I deemed the day unsafe, I decided to let Hadley sleep in, Lydia didn't like that idea at all!  Lydia went upstairs and played in her room for a few minutes when I heard "knock, knock, knock, HAT-WE!"   Hadley was NOT happy to be woken up!  She was like a surly teenager who didn't want to get out of bed.  She stomped around the house for a few minutes, taking care of morning routine type things when I heard it...

"LYDIA!  Open the DOOR!"  Hadley screamed at the top of her lungs!

"NO HAT-WE, you're not being nice!" Lydia replied back.

"You can't lock me out of MY ROOM Lydia!" Hadley screamed back in tone that peeled the paint of the walls! 

Well, I'm sorry, I couldn't help but laugh!  When I realized Lydia had locked Hadley out of her own room because she wasn't being nice, I laughed out loud!  But, the best was yet to come!

Lydia calmly and coolly says, from the other side of Hadley's door "you play in my room, Hat-we."

"LET ME IN MY ROOM, LYDIA!" Hadley shrieks, again!

I'm a big believer in letting them work out their own problems so I'm trying to stay out of it but I always listen, just in case, I need to intervene.  Thank goodness I listen in because, little did I know, that the best part was yet to come!

Lydia, who is grace under fire throughout this whole exchange, says to Hadley. "I told you you can play in my room.  Hat-we, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit!"

Okay, that was the icing on my cake for the morning!  I laughed hysterically, until tears were rolling down my face!  However, when I heard the countdown coming from Hadley, I knew it was time to break it up! 

Hadley says "Lydia, let me in!  ONE!  TWO!..."

I broke up the fight and they are fine now, but the morning was a great start to a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment