Friday, December 31, 2010

Grass Roots Immigration

The mess that we've made of immigration scares me. It scares me for my children, my grandchildren, and my heritage. I agree that we should love one another and help one another, but at what cost? Our infrastructure can only support so much, even the great America has limits. I welcome anyone who wants to go through the proper channels and I thank God that I was born in such a great nation and I'm sorry for those who weren't. Truly sorry. However, I believe to keep our nation as great as it can then we have to adhere to our rules.  If we abandon all order we will all be equals, but we will be equally dragged down.

In my home, we have rules that help maintain it successfully.  My rules aren't perfect, and there are times when it would be easier to overlook the rules completely and throw caution in the wind but there are always side effects to such things.

One of our rules is that we keep the doors closed so we don't have uninvited guests roaming in and out (insects and neighbor pets in our case or even strangers) however, come to my door, ring the bell, and introduce yourself and we'll probably invite you in and treat you hospitably.

Another rule we have is that everyone is expected to know the rules and obey them. We have taught our children the rules and I expect them to do what they know they should. If there is a question, ask. If they don't obey the rules, there are consequences.  Claiming that they didn't know what a rule was will get them nowhere!  They have been taught and I expect them to know what the rules are.

The last of our house rules I'll mention is that everyone contributes. Even the smallest member of our household is expected to uphold certain responsibilities. (Lydia's are pretty basic, but we are laying the foundation).  We work together as a team and we all do our part, there are no free rides in our home.  It is full of love and support but everyone does their part.

I say all of that to say that even though grace has allowed many of us to be Americans, not hard work or sacrifice, the foundation is still there and needs to be maintained. We have an obligation to maintain, obey, and enforce the rules of our nation in the same manner we run our households and with the same purpose-to make it be the best it can be!  We need a grass roots immigration policy!

No comments:

Post a Comment