Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I am SO Glad I Have Girls!

I'm so glad I have (insert gender here)!

How many times have you heard that or even said it?  Each mom wants to validate how amazing it is to be the parents of boys or girls (depending on which gender they have).  I really am SO glad to have girls, but because it's God's perfect plan, not because it's self fulfilling.  I don't think having boys is some type of affliction, they are an equal blessing.  I definitely see perks of being a mom to girls, I won't lie.  I thank God for my daughters, I can't imagine it any other way.  However, I can definitely see some problems that I'll have that moms of boys won't have to deal with and vice versa! 

I don't know why we think it's okay to say that to each other, it's really not nice! 

I had a mom tell me, that when you have boys you only have to worry about one penis, but when you have girls you have to worry about every penis out there!  Grrr!  I don't even want to THINK about that!

Another mom said in reference to boys versus girls, "you either pay now or pay later!" 

So true!  Parenting is hard, it's rewarding, but it's hard!  One cliche about boys are they break everything, one cliche about girls is they are super needy!  I'd say both are true, for both genders!  Of course, I'm speaking as a mom of girls only.  Cliches exist for a reason, they aren't 100% but more often than not there's a reason for them!

All I know is that I wouldn't have it any other way, but there is no easy way out of parenting, so it doesn't matter if you have boys or girls-"you either pay now or pay later!"

1 comment:

  1. Good one Lisa! I am thankful you dedicated a blog to this.
    Being a mother of 2 boys & an aunt of 3 beloved nephews I find it insulting when mom's of girls say "I am SO GLAD I have girls!" (And that's how they say it - "SO GLAD") I always think, "Um, you know I have boys & all nephews, right?" I wonder to myself why on God's green earth they think that's okay to say. Essentially, they are comparing my children to their own & implying that their girls are better than my boys.

    I think my boys are just as well behaved as the next kid - no better, no worse. Don't they all act out and disobey? Don't they all give hugs & kisses, love their mothers & aren't they all hysterical?? They are children - so much more ALIKE than they are different.

    When other mom's have said that to me (and it's been a few times!) I couldn't help but have my feelings hurt....like my children are defected in some way. Of course, I know that's not true, but it still hurt!

    No parent can imagine it being any other way than how they have it. They are all a blessing, a true joy!!

    I think next time another mom says that to me my reply will be, "Well, you better watch out because your little girl is going to grow up & marry a boy! Who knows? Maybe your grandchildren will all be boys! :) God's funny that way.

    ReplyDelete