Friday, August 5, 2011

We're Just Like You, Only Prettier!

I can't help but channel my inner Miranda Lambert when I say that!

It's so true but men don't realize it! 

I'm on the board of our home owners association (HOA) for our neighborhood.  I felt passionately about being on the board after those jerks in our last neighborhood, in WV, screwed us so royally.  I wanted to be the anti-hoa, the people's advocate, not the neighborhood police. 

It was a great year for me to be on  the board too because this was the year that the board chose to re write (for lack of a better word) the neighborhood rules.  We hired a lawyer who specializes in HOA legality.  Side note, wouldn't that suck!  $80 grand down the tubes so he can watch housewives fight about trash cans and flower beds!  With that said, we re wrote the book!  Ha!  Every time a rule would come up I would tense up because of my libertarianism (Keith says anarchist!) whatever you call it, I'm a strong supporter of self governance so rules make me nervous!  We came to a good agreement and there were ultimately very few rules that I was concerned with and I thought they were probably harmless because, let's be honest...who was going to enforce them?

Then the hammer dropped, the fire was lit, and the board was ready to RUN with the rules!  OMG!  It was like someone threw down the gauntlet and they took it as a personal challenge to make heads roll.  Ironically enough, these are people I really respect and like, I just happen to disagree with this whole "police my neighbors" stance. 

To be fair, they will say they aren't policing the neighbors, they are being proactive in maintaining our property value.  They aren't creating new rules, just enforcing the rules that have been in place for years.

Okay, enough pc crap, this is my blog so I can tell it my way!  :-)

Now to the point, or as my old boss used to say, I say all of that to say this...

I strongly disagreed with this whole mess.  I don't want to be involved and I don't want my name associated with it.  I've even contemplated resigning because I disagree so strongly.  I'm not mad and I still like and respect my fellow board members, I just don't like this and I disagree with it.  I felt like I was being pacified when I voiced my disagreements and decided that if my opinion wasn't going to be taken seriously then there is no need for me to attend anymore meetings.  Again, not mad, just realistic.

So, when I got a text from another board member (whom I adore!  Seriously!) asking if I could attend a meeting on Sunday I said no.  First of all I can't, secondly I don't want to.   Later he asked me if there was another date that would work for me.  I told him not to worry about working with my schedule because I can email a financial report (I'm the treasurer) but I really don't have any other input for the meeting.  I know this worried him because he asked what I meant by that and I meant just what I said. 

This is where I say "we're just like you, only prettier."  Men are capable of compartmentalizing, why can't they believe women are?  If the shoe were on the other foot I don't think he would hold a grudge against me, so why does he think I will?   With that said, I disagree but I don't care, I still like and respect him (and the entire board).  I am just like him, (I compartmentalize!) only prettier!  We can all disagree and still be friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment