Sunday, January 15, 2017

Good Enough for the King

I spent a lot of years hiding who I really was and changing myself for the group of people I was with.  I worried that the real me wasn't a good enough daughter, christian, wife, mother, friend, etc.  I was confused about who I was and there were only a handful of people who knew who got all sides of me, because they were the only ones I trusted.  I thank God for those people who stuck with me and who were probably going through similar transformations.

Now, at 37, I am finally at peace with who I am.  That doesn't mean I'm not working on improving, it just means that I'm okay.  I have finally realized that I am good enough for God and that's good enough for me.  That doesn't give me free reign to act ridiculous, I am a daughter of the King after all, I should behave as such.  My self acceptance just means that while I'm working on me, God is too, and he's loving me while we piece together my beautiful mess.

I finally realize that there are no perfect people, no perfect christians, and we are all broken.  That's okay, God loves the broken!  Our job is to heal ourselves and heal those around us. 

Our sermon today talked about the three stages of discipleship, 1. Being fed, 2. Growing, and 3. Feeding others.

Reasons for Writing 1 John 2:12-14
12 I am writing to you, dear children,
    because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name.
13 I am writing to you, fathers,
    because you know him who is from the beginning.
I am writing to you, young men,
    because you have overcome the evil one.
14 I write to you, dear children,
    because you know the Father.
I write to you, fathers,
    because you know him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young men,
    because you are strong,
    and the word of God lives in you,
    and you have overcome the evil one.

My job is simple!  Be fed, grow, feed others!  Nowhere does it say be perfect, it doesn't say I'm not good enough, it doesn't say I'll never be whole.  Instead, I am not perfect, but He is.  I know that I'm not good enough alone, but I am with God.  I will be whole again one day and what a great day that will be! 

I won't give up on friends who are fighting their demons and they won't give up on me.  I'll pray, I'll cry, I'll call out to God on their behalf and I will hope that when I'm in my own darkness there is someone doing the same for me, but if not, God is.  He always is.  Joshua 1:9 tells us that He is with us wherever we go. 

Joshua 1:9
9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

No comments:

Post a Comment