Friday, January 9, 2015

Shameless Plug for a Dear Friend

I've been lucky enough to have some incredible friends in my life. 

Friends who let me move in with them, and their brand new husband, just months after the wedding and have stuck with me through thick and thin ever since.  Joy and Dee are my sisters, forever, and there's no discussion about that, it's fact. 

A friend who, when I was  suffering from hypoglycemia (in high school) and couldn't eat sugar but wanted ice cream more than my next breath, would sneak a DQ blizzard into my parents house and stay with me while I ate it, just in case it killed me!  (Yeah, Cori, you)

A friend who I can share a toast with and watch trash tv with, once a week from 600 miles away! (Here's looking at you Shawn!) 

Friends and neighbors who supported me when I was diagnosed with cancer. They never flinched, just rolled with all of the crazy emotions. They laid in bed with me when I couldn't get up, they kept my kids happy and busy, Gina even dropped my baby!  I cried with Anita. Angela brought projects to keep me busy. Gina and Colleen were there for everything.

Friends who took me in and included me in (almost) everything when we moved to TN. There was that one party...Andy, that you left me out of. Andy and Laura made TN home when I didn't know if it ever would be. They invited me to parties, introduced me to their friends and family and I'm so thankful to have them as half of the Richwaters. No surprise that such awesome people have such awesome friends and family, and I'm super thankful to be included in that list now!  (I'm on both lists Andy, deal with it. I'm family now!)

There are friends who sell you a house and then take you in as part of the family. We bought our house from "a businessman who wouldn't put up with nonsense" as our realtor put it and then we met these incredible people who have  an awesome family that I love!  I won't discount that he's a businessman, but he and His wife are some of the kindest people I've ever known. I didn't know people like them still existed. They are made from the same stuff my grandparents were made of, and so are their daughters. I prayed for good neighbors and God delivered abundantly. Their entire family is full of great people made up of good stuff!

And then there's Jeff. Oh Jeff. He and Jeremy were always friendly at church, and they'd invite us to things but it took awhile for me to warm up to Jeff. Somehow, through some bigger plan, he became one of my best friends. 

Recently, in a group text, this was said. 


And that sums us up. 

When I had surgery on my knee, Jeff came over, cooked a meal, set off my fire alarm, and CLEANED UP after himself. (Take note, Kelly, he CAN do it!). 

Our friendship has hit hard spots, for sure, but we've gotten through them. Most recently, I yelled at him in my garage for 15 minutes and he just rolled with it. The biggest hiccup in our friendship is probably what solidified it the most. I'm not going to rehash that painful time but I have to tell a little about it. 

Jeff and I hadn't spoken in awhile because of the circumstances at the time. I'd talked to one of my favorite Christian mentors, Ms Dawn, about it and and we'd prayed together, it stayed on my heart but I knew it was in God's hands. 

A few days passed and I was driving down 106th street when a song by Tenth Avenue North came on the radio. The song is called "Losing" and I still tear up when I read the lyrics. I also suggest that anyone reading this read them!  

At the time those lyrics were so pertinent to our situation that I stopped in my tracks, I knew God was using this song to touch my heart!  I pulled my car over and sent Jeff a text basically saying that Keith and I still loved him and valued our friendship with him and if he wanted to love us back, we were in. 

We got together shortly after that. We had some horribly uncomfortable, emotional talks, that Keith still laughs about, because they made me so anxious and the rest is history. We've been a three person Wolfpack ever since. 

There's not a lot of frill in our friendship, it's true grit. We are silly, we are goofy, and we are real. So, recently, when I commented on Facebook that I'd written a new post, Jeff called me out and said it'd be better if it mentioned him by name, so, here it is Witherboo! 
 

I can't call out each of my dear friendships but I do value them all. And honestly, I'm sitting here debating on publishing this because there are so many incredible people I didn't mention. Like Jen and Jason, or Mark and Tracy, and Courtney and Tim, Richard and Karen, Danielle, my mother in law, Chad, and the list goes on and on, and I am so blessed to have such a long list!




1 comment: