Tuesday, April 10, 2012

To Take Shots or To Not Take Shots (Progesteron-Part 1)

I'm going to say something shocking for anyone who knows me, so brace yourselves if we're friends in real life.

I'm pro choice.

That doesn't mean I'm pro abortion.

I think people should make the right choices.  I'm conservative, I'm republican, and most of all I'm a Christian.  People should choose to do the right thing and I want to reiterate that I do NOT think abortion is the right choice.

Today I went to my OB appointment, and for anyone who doesn't know, I'm pregnant and due August 2012.  Back in January when I went to the doctor for the first time, the doctor and I went over my history (of having two preterm or early deliveries) and he suggested I do some research and decide whether or not I'd be interested in getting progesterone injections to prolong this pregnancy.  He told me I'd need to start them around 16-18 weeks and continue until approximately 37 weeks.  He explained that there are basically no side effects and can prevent spontaneous labor.

I did my research, I googled the heck out of it.  (yay google!) 
The list of "no side effects" include:
-depression-that should make this hormonal roller coaster even more fun!
-constipation and headache-sound fun, huh!
-fatigue-again, great timing since I'm growing a human and already exhausted
-weight gain-great timing; throw on another hundred pounds!
-acne-seriously, I'm already obsessively fighting that battle
-feeling hot-add that to the pregnancy hot flashes and I may spontaneously combust
-soreness at injection site. Since everything else is already hurting, I might not even notice this one
-weekly injections-enough said

The three that are highlighted are from mayoclinic.com quoted on the livestrong.com site, which I consider both to be pretty reputable.

At my last appointment I told my doctor (his partner actually) that I'd decided not to take progesterone and he said okay, made some notes and left.  Needless to say that when the topic was brought up again today by my doctor, I was a little surprised.  When the topic was pushed, I was offended, and when we were leaving and Keith said to me "he almost sold me on progesterone," I was hurt and angry.

This is the part where I realized why I'm pro choice.  This is MY BODY.  How dare these two men sit in agreement telling me why I should inject something into my body and why their opinions are equally as important as mine in this decision.  Yes, my doctor is the one who's educated on this, and Keith is the father of the baby, but this is still MY BODY.

I had already made my decision and voiced it to everyone who needed to know and I thought Keith agreed.  My opinion is that the doctor had no right to push his agenda on me, and I told this to Keith.

He said "I think he really believes in what he's telling you."

I replied, "I'm not saying he's trying to hurt me, I'm saying I disagree.  You are in sales, you know it's easier to sale something you believe in.  One of the reasons you're so successful at your job is because you truly believe you're selling a superior product, so it's great that he believes in it, I just don't."

I left the doctor in tears.  I was mad at Keith, my doctor hurt my trust, and I now feel like the most selfish woman to ever carry a baby-all because I don't want to take weekly progesterone shots.

Today felt like he drew a line and asked me which side I was going to be on.  On one side, we have weekly progesterone shots that "basically have no side effects."   Or on the other hand, have a preemie who may or may not live, and will definitely require a NICU stay for who knows how long.

So, do I go against my beliefs and instincts and give in or do I risk my child's well being and hold onto my faith in my body to do what it was made to do, and my faith in God to protect us?

I was at peace with my decision, the stress of actually deciding was over, I was enjoying the freedom of this pregnancy.  Today, my doctor took all of that away from me and left me with two choices that will make me equally afraid during this pregnancy and no matter what decision I make, I will be worried that it was the wrong one. 

3 comments:

  1. If you were a diabetic, would you take insulin? If you had high blood pressure, would you take meds? Your body has proven you wrong twice now...do you really want to take a chance on "three strikes and you're out"? The important question is, "Can you live with the consequences if you have a preemie with possible complications?" Your body is yours, YES! This baby will be as much Keith's as it is yours though. Please don't exclude him from this important decision. Make it together and try to err on the side of caution. I don't know what you should ultimately do but I know you need to pray about it. I'm praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither one of your girls were harmed by being a few weeks early. They are strong healthy kids. If you feel this is not right for you then you are justified. It is not likely you will have major issues..You don't go into labor at 20 weeks..you go about 35-36 weeks..Stay healthy stay vigilant and I think you will be fine. i would seek out a second opinion and I would seek out a CNM in your area who is able to deliver in hospital, just in case. Eat progesterone helpful foods, etc..

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOWSA! I had to chime in, because I love a good discussion.

    Though I don't know cshrull (ofcourse I know it's a family member of yours), I am inclined to agree with them.

    You might have side effects yes, but if it could prevents the baby from being born prematurely and suffering the consequences of that, I could see the argument for it, for sure.

    I also know that because you love your children SO dearly that when they hurt, you hurt, so if you knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that you could prevent something by taking the shot, you might see things differently. However none of us know that, including the doctor.

    BUT the bottom line is FAITH! Faith is what we do not see, but still believe in because of God's history in our lives.

    If your faith and personal conversations with God about this have undoubtedly given you peace, and are consistent with scripture then there your answer is...not to be swayed by a doctor, but to be discussed lovingly with your husband and father of the sweet baby. ;)

    I am praying for you and love you when I agree with you, when I am intrigued by you and when I disagree. Above all I respect you and ask God to help clear your thoughts of anxiety or frustration related to this experience.

    ReplyDelete