Thursday, January 19, 2012

Well, I've Been Thinking...

Since yesterday's rant on Hadley's teacher, and school, and the injustice of life I've had time to think and I've gotten some excellent advice from some great women, both moms and teachers, and I've come to some conclusions.

First, in the grand scheme of things this is minor, it sucks, but it's doable. 

Second, we're halfway through this.

Third, and probably most important, its not the teacher who is going to make the difference here-it's me.  My reaction to this situation will have more impact on Hadley then the situation itself ever will.

I get so wrapped up in how this is going to effect Hadley that I forget that there are other sources of influence in her life.  My aunt gave me some great advice and since it's me, I can't imagine she'll be surprised that I'm quoting her, but this is what she said.

The teacher isn't the point. It's how you deal with the whole situation that's the real test. I can find you people who love AND hate any given teacher. Teach Hadley to handle unfairness and whatever else is happening thru this experience. You can't always change things in life, you have to learn to walk thru them as best as you can. Hopefully, she'll learn about the kind of person she DOESN'T want to be. Trust me, she will handle this better than you will! Kids are very resilient.

The stubborn side of me wanted to argue and say "but, but, but..." but, there was nothing I could say to argue with that.  This is my first real opportunity to show Hadley how to handle adversity, and so far, I'm failing miserably!  I'll do better, and I know I can.  Yeah, I've faked liking the teacher and I've even told Hadley "just because mommy doesn't like how she's doing something doesn't mean she's a bad teacher" but my heart wasn't in it.  It's true though, she may be a terrible teacher or one of the best but my opinion has been so jaded because I don't like how she's doing things, that I wouldn't know.  And, honestly, it doesn't matter!

“So Jesus explained, ‘I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself. He does only what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son also does.’” John 5:19 (NLT)
 
That's a load for a mom who's been running on emotion, but it's so true and it's go time around here!  I'm going to put up or shut up.  Starting right now, my attitude is adjusted!

1 comment:

  1. It's because you care so much that Hadley and Lydia have such a wonderful mom. They are going to face all kinds of situations in their lives and, if you're lucky, they'll stop to think "What would my mom have done?" before they respond. It reminds me of that beautiful country song that makes me cry called "I've Been Watching You"! We can't always make their way smooth but we can equip them with good climbing shoes and a bottle of water! I love you!

    ReplyDelete